Your Waist Measurement

Why record waist measurements?

The size of a person’s waist or waist circumference is an indicator of overall health. Excess abdominal fat is a known risk factor for developing heart disease, high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes and other obesity related diseases.

Waist measurement, in conjunction with weight and lifestyle factors is considered to be an indicator of overall health risk.

What does waist measurement tell you?

Studies have shown that excess weight carried on the abdomen results in greater health problems than excess weight carried on the hips or thighs. The location of fat on your body is a risk factor for health.

A high waist circumference has been associated with an increased risk for type 2 diabetes, low LDL cholesterol, high triglycerides, high blood pressure, metabolic syndrome and cardiovascular disease.

Are you a pear or apple shape?

Apple-shaped bodies tend to gain weight around their middle and are more likely to develop heart disease and type 2 diabetes. Pear-shaped bodies carry their excess weight around their hips, bottom and thighs. There tends to be greater health risks for apple than pear shaped men and women.

What is a normal waist measurement?

According to the National, Heart, Lung and Blood Institute an ideal or normal waist circumference for men would be 102cm (40 in) or less for men and 88 cm (35 in) or less for women. The NHLBI classify the risk of obesity related diseases as high if: men have a waist circumference greater than 102 cm or 40 inches, and women have a waist circumference of 88 cm or 35 inches.

How do I measure my waist?

To measure your waist circumference, place a tape measure around your bare abdomen just above your hip bone. Be sure that the tape is snug, but does not compress your skin, and is parallel to the floor. Try to relax and exhale then take a waist measurement. If it is difficult to locate the hip bone, then place the tape at the level of the belly button.

9 Responses to “Waist Measurement”

1. Jim Bowker says:

First of all… I really like your “My Blood Pressure” software and have been using it for about 4 months now. The reminder feature is a big plus for me. I am self employed and spend a lot of time at the computer during the work day. It’s great to have this notification.

I almost purchased the “My Weight” program but it’s lacking for me at this time. I am an avid bicyclist and am also in the process of loosing 50+ pounds. The waist measurement is great but and I really like the screens for the data viewing and reporting! What this program needs to make it more complete would be a minimum of 3 skin fold measurements and a place to track tape measurements of neck, shoulder, bicep, chest, waist, hips and calf. I’d pay $10 more if you could incorporate those features.

Keep up the great work. Your software is a breath of fresh air!

• Steve says:

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the kind words and for the feedback on “My Weight”.

I have taken a note of your suggestions for a future version, but any new version would be a minimum 3 to 6 months away, and I have still not decided which direction to take with “My Weight”. Your feedback helps with this!

Congratulations on your weight loss!
      Steve

2. Gary Soucie says:

You need to revise your commentary on waist measurement and CV risk. A recently published meta analysis of 58 other studies showed no correlation between abdominal fat (waist measurement) and heart attack or stroke, but a direct correlation between obesity (weight)and such CV events.

3. Aden Doyle says:

I started using your blood pressure program when it was free. I now use the latest version. It is a great tool. A few years ago I started Printing the charts and giving them to my Dr. when I have a problem with BP or at physical time. She loves them and actualy requests them from time to time. Last time I was there she ask me if you had anything to assist a patient with diabetis management. I directed her to your website. She is looking for help for her patients.
    Now for my suggestion. I am contemplating your weight control offering. I have graphed my weight by hand for about five years, but along with my weight I track daily callorie intake and saturated fat intake. I do this because I have high cholesterol and cannot use statins or other control drugs that are on the market. A stroke in 2005 encouraged me to pay closer attention to food intake and content. By recording my actions I was encouraged to reduce my weight by 50 pounds.
    If you could add space to record at least calloric intake your weight program would be enhanced with a valuable assist.

• Steve says:

Hi Aden,

Thanks for the support! … it is appreciated!

> By recording my actions I was encouraged to reduce my weight by 50 pounds.

Congratulations on the weight loss!

> If you could add space to record at least calloric intake your weight
      > program would be enhanced with a valuable assist.

I also have been personally keeping track of calories for about a year now, and it is something that I have been considering adding to My Weight. There are some nifty calculations you can do when you track weight changes and calories consumed. No promises on this, but it is something that is on the radar.

Thanks for the feedback!
      Steve
      My Health Software support

4. Lori Horsfall says:

Hi!
    I love both the blood pressure and the weight program. Suggestion for the weight program: I wold like to add on my daily exercises (and see how it correlates with the weight). For this I would like another set of inout fields to type in hours and minutes and type of exercise – would put in manually, like “walking”, “gardening”, “gym” etc.
    Anyway a real support to my weight loss efforts!

• Steve says:

Hi Lori,

Thanks for the feedback and suggestion! I have taken a note of it for a future version.

Best wishes with your weight loss efforts!
      Steve
      My Health Software support

5. Esofia says:

Instead of having one measurement for men and another for women, you’re better off using the waist-height ratio. It’s very simple: your waist measurement should be no more than half of your height. This works better than waist-hip ratios, where individual body shape can muddy the water.

bottom KellieMyHS

About Kellie

Kellie is 37 years old and together with her brother Steve makes up the My Health Software team.

She helps on the websites and gathering news for the programs. Kellie worked in the medical industry prior to having her two children (8 and 6) and has a strong interest in self awareness and management of health conditions.