My Health Software » My Cholesterol Software
logo logo

What is Cholesterol?

Cholesterol is made by the body to keep you healthy. Surprised? Most people are surprised find that it’s normal to have cholesterol. Cholesterol is an important part of a healthy body. However, too much cholesterol in the blood is a major risk for coronary heart disease, which can result in heart attack and stroke.

About 75% of the cholesterol in the body is made naturally by your liver and other cells in the body. The remaining 25% comes from the foods you eat. Eating foods high in saturated fats, trans fats and dietary cholesterol will increase your cholesterol levels. If high blood cholesterol is something that runs in your family, then it may be harder for you to reduce your cholesterol. Everyone is different.

What is good and bad cholesterol?

Your total blood cholesterol is made up of: your HDL good cholesterol level, your LDL bad cholesterol level, and your triglyceride levels. Low-density lipoprotein, or LDL, is known as bad cholesterol. High-density lipoprotein, or HDL, is known as good cholesterol.

How do I find out what my cholesterol is?

You can find out your total blood cholesterol through a simple blood test. You can visit your doctor who will take blood and send it to a laboratory to be analyzed. You can also use home monitoring cholesterol devices that give an immediate result with a pin prick of blood. (similar to a blood glucose monitor)


bottom Steve